DHH's video preview of Rails 7

And the blog:

Rails has been unapologetically full stack since the beginning. We’ve continuously sought to include ever-more default answers to all the major infrastructure questions posed by modern web development. From talking to a database, to sending and receiving emails, to connecting web sockets, to rendering HTML, to integrating with JavaScript. This full-stack strategy has been key to the success of Rails, but it also remains an enduring source of controversy. What’s too much to include? What’s not enough?

To consistently answer that evergreen question, we look to The Rails Doctrine, and especially the third pillar of The Menu Is Omakase. It’s why we fret so much over the defaults, but also why the option to substitute is so crucial.

There’s been no more fretting over the defaults, or a closer examination of the substitutes, than with the JavaScript part of the question over the years. And especially lately, as the ever-present churn and fundamental change has pushed new options into the limelight. But after much experimentation, I believe we now have a solid answer for Rails 7.

• Rails 7 will default to import-mapped Hotwire
  • Rails 7 has full support for traditional JS bundling
  • Rails 7 will have three clear choices for JavaScript

Read in full here:

I’m glad they’re simplifying JS and moving to esbuild too (as is Phoenix) :023:

6 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I am looking forward to seeing the full integration of Hotwire and importmap.
Those components have changed a lot in file arrangement.

Finalizing the set up would help reducing the long term maintenance in the future.

1 Like