What is your best back-end stack?

Mine is Firebase because it is easy to learn and fast .

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Well I do like Elixir in the back end, with PostgreSQL.
For the architecture, I use Commanded at work. It was complicated to grasp at first but now it makes a lot more sense.

Not a great fan of document based databases.

For me Elixir’s solves all the problems I can encounter. Lately I’ve used GenStage to handle synchronisation on some events. I’m eager to see how it’d be handled in another language.

7 Likes

I’d use Rails for simpler projects, and Phoenix for more ambitious projects :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Man, Node guy :laughing:

1 Like

For things I’m getting paid I’d take C# with the akka framework so I can use actors. It’s what I know best so I’m fastest.

For private projects I’d choose erlang or elixir/phoenix, as it’s most interesting for me.

4 Likes

Baby Got Back-End Stack? :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder how expensive firebase gets with a lot more traffic?

3 Likes

Way too expensive XD, if using Firestore

3 Likes

Have you checked Supabase?

5 Likes

The Firebase alternative using Postgres.
Sounds a lot better than Firebase.

3 Likes

Cheaper, too. And in very active development.

4 Likes

ASP.NET Core in my case :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me it’s Elixir and Phoenix combined with PostgreSQL.

I’ve been using this stack for the past 4 1/2 years as my day-to-day language and I’m very happy with it.

I’ve always wanted to dabble more with serverless applications, as I can certainly see the appeal. I’m convinced that the serverless paradigm can be very powerful for some types of applications, haven’t really gotten around to that though.

3 Likes

Would you have some recommendations for resources about the “Commanded” architecture? I’ve never heard of it before.

3 Likes

Sure. First of all I’ve watched Ben Smith talk about CQRS/ES at Code Sync
Also follow the get started with Commanded.

And get his book.

To quote Ben Smith himself

Conduit is an open-source, example Phoenix 1.3 web application implementing the CQRS/ES pattern in Elixir. It was built to demonstrate the implementation of Commanded in an Elixir application for the Building Conduit book.

I got some hard times in the beginning so, be sure to clone the repo of him and use it as your base. Otherwise, the changes will make you sweat :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Oh nice, thanks! Will look into them!

3 Likes

I am using rails for years. For work, I use expressjs and gin.
Now I am searching for resources for oak (typescript).

2 Likes

NodeJS and Django, Redis and MariaDB.

2 Likes

I hope Ben will still finish the book

3 Likes