F# Is The Best Programming Language Today

F# Is The Best Coding Language Today.
If you want to personally pick up a programming language in order to become a better coder in whatever other languages you use, F# is the best overall teaching/coding language you can find.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Not sure whether it is the best or not, might as well could be though it depends on people’s tastes, but it certainly is the most underrated programming language out there.

4 Likes

ML languages are pretty cool, I already like OCaml a lot and F# is deemed to be a “better OCaml” by many (not sure by which criteria though). But in the end, tooling, compiler apparatus and community support is what decides a language’s fate these days.

5 Likes

F# started as a copy of OCaml onto .NET but without the higher typed and first class modules (which is honestly the big thing about OCaml, otherwise just use SML), right down to the syntax (you could take an ocaml program that didn’t use higher typed or first class modules and compile it with F#, still can to this day I hear), and then F# started extending its syntax with more features, mostly just things to fit the .NET ecosystem better. I still think OCaml as a language is better than F#, but F# is certainly more convenient because it has all of .NET behind it (well, unless you want to compile a native app, lol).

5 Likes

Been learning some F# recently, and I am really liking it.

3 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Should be a good book to help us out: Essential Functional-First… by Ian Russell [PDF/iPad/Kindle]

3 Likes

Just bought it and read the first 100 pages. Pretty good one. I am also solving an Advent of Code per day (more or less) that is here: GitHub - code-shoily/AdventOfCode: Advent of Code Solutions with F# and C# and am blogging about my approaches in http://mafinar.dev

I don’t remember ever having this much fun learning a language since Elixir.

2 Likes

Haven’t bought it yet, trying to budget my expenses this year. :frowning:

Thank you for the suggestion on the AdventOfCode.

2 Likes

I used F# for a personal project couple of years ago, really liked the language. Too bad I can’t use it for anything at work.

2 Likes

Same here. We still use C# for everything.

2 Likes

I read this book about 2 years ago without knowing F# but wanted to get some insight on how to follow Domain-Driven Design in a functional language and I really enjoyed it.
Domain Modeling Made Functional:
Tackle Software Complexity with Domain-Driven Design and F#

The author, Scott Wlaschin, also has some great talks from which I have learned some excellent patterns.

2 Likes

Seems like a good site there… >.>

2 Likes

If you are interested in exploring F# further, Functional Conf (24-26 March 2022) has some interesting F# talks:

• Retargeting F# for the web: from JS to WebAssembly - ADAM GRANICZ
  • The Z3 SMT solver & functional programming - ALLISTER BEHARRY
  • Beyond: Crossing the Platform Boundaries with F# & Fable - ALFONSO GARCIA-CARO
  • Nature-Inspired Optimization Algorithms with F# - JOHN AZARIAH
  • Implementing Event-Driven Microservices architecture in Functional language - NIKHIL BARTHWAL

Check out the conference if these interest you or you want to explore the wider world of functional programming.

2 Likes

I have just finished this one. Highly recommended.

2 Likes