Which Editor Is Best?

I think for now VsCode is getting very much goody at developer side, even thou sublime text 4 is faster . But if Onivim take these two and combine their goodie then it will be the best .

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Have a look at this thread Sukhpreet:

Donā€™t forget to add your vote too!

Personally I think the Vim variants are hard to beat, but I like the look and feel of old editors like TextMate too. I am hoping Onivim will be able to merge the best of both worlds :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Surely you meant NeoVim? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

2 Likes

What is best?

To crush your requirements, see them driven before your tests, and hear the exultations of their authors.

And what editor is best for that?

THE ONE YOU KNOW WELL ENOUGH TO BE PRODUCTIVE IN.

If thatā€™s plain old Notepad, so be it. If itā€™s VSCode or Eclipse or Atom or RubyMine or whatever, so be it. If itā€™s vi or emacs, youā€™ve probably been around longer than to need this advice.

6 Likes

:+1:

Or even, the one you feel happiest in (after the initial ā€˜trying something outā€™ phase) :smiley:

I use NeoVim with this config (because Iā€™m too lazy to do it on my own), and frankly, this is very good.
I open VSCode less than before.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am trying it too and I like it. Have a few customizations on the side as well.

3 Likes

I am using Atom and VS code.

2 Likes

I really like VS Code remote editing facilities, I can develop on remote systems and on containers just like I do on my local machine. In the past I tried Emacs with Tramp, but VS Code is easier to use and works on most operating system.

3 Likes

Oh, excellent point! I recently started writing a two-person presentation on pair programming, and something like that will make it MUCH easier to do at remote confs. Time to actually learn VS Codeā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true and this is a very good point for VSCode.
Iā€™ve to load all my Vim config in the container, which is tedious. Iā€™m planning to make a master and set it has a first stage of a container build but for now, Iā€™m too lazy.

Iā€™m pretty sad that Jet Brains does not provide a feature like this one.

3 Likes

In one word, VSCode.

Why?

• Itā€™s free and open source.
  • Itā€™s highly customizable.
  • Its Vim extension is pretty good. You can use almost all the Vim. I even use ctr+[, :wq for closing a file instead of the VSCodeā€™s Command-w. I almost forget Iā€™m not inside native Vim.
  • It has an integrated terminal which is very fast and feels like a native terminal. It also detects external links as well as links to files. In case of an error, you can click on the name of a file in the error message inside the integrated terminal and it will take you to the file and the line.
  • It has an extension (and sometimes more than one extension) for almost everything.
    1. Almost all the famous programming languages have extensions based on Microsoftā€™s Language Server Protocol for better intellisense.
    2. Some extensions are really good, like interactive project creation through Quarkus extension is as good as that in IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate.
    3. The code runner extension which is as good as the old times code runner app. Just press the shortcut key and your current file is compiled and run without you jumping to the terminal and running any command.
    4. VSCodeā€™s extensions for Git integration are very good. I am a command-line Git user, but still these extensions help me sometimes. For example, when you want to see how a file was changed through the history of commits, these extensions provide a very good interface for that[1]. Click on the icon in the top right (which looks like the Gitā€™s official logo), and then the arrow icons.
    5. The SASS extension not only compiles SASS to CSS, but it does that in real time as soon as you save the file, and it doesnā€™t require an installation of Ruby Sass or LibSass on your computer.
    6. There is a very good extension for syncing settings to the Github called Settings Sync. Itā€™s so good that I copied my VSCodeā€™s settings, snippets, keyboard shortcuts and extensions to my new machine by running just a command or two after installing it on the new machine. Recently this functionality is included by default, without an extension. I never saw this functionality in any IDE or Editor I used in the past.
    7. It has some nice Markdown extensions namely Markdown All in One.
    8. The note taking extension Dendron is as sophisticated as the full-fledged app Obsidian.
    9. Live Share and Live Share Audio extensions make pair programming a breeze.
      These are only a few examples. There are many more such extensions.
  • VSCode is really fast comparing with Atom which is also made using Electron. Itā€™s almost as fast as Sublime Text.

OniVim looks like a faster alternative to VSCode, but it will take too much time to become as capable as VSCode. I am afraid it wonā€™t stay as fast as it is today after adding all the extensions one uses inside VSCode.

[1]: Iā€™m not sure which of the two Git extensions does that. The builtin Git extension or the GitLens.

3 Likes

I need to using VS Code more, been using Visual Studio forever.

2 Likes

I started using VSCode now for Elixir and I really like it.

2 Likes

cool, i didnt know the vim extension. i am going to try it.

3 Likes

I use IntelliJ-based IDEā€™s and am happy with them (PHPStorm, DataGrid, etc)

Tried to use VScode, but the shortcuts are different and it doesnā€™t have that many refactoring tools.

My friend uses Emacs, I might try it soon for Elixir programming language.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a big fan of using the tool that is best for the job. There is no ā€œBestā€ Editor. All of them have tradeoffs and knowing what your needs are will help find the best editor your your needs. VSCode is one of the best editors for TypeScript/JavaScript development out of the box. Vim/NeoVim/Emacs are all excellent editors that you can tailor to your own needs and the longer you use them the faster you will be with them. If you need a powerful IDE experience the jetbrains editor for the language you use will be very productive.

In the end I am a huge fan of Vim and Neovim. I find the modal editing paradigm very productive for me and I really enjoy learning and using plugins created by the community. After many years developing with vim/neovim I just canā€™t use modern editors for long without giving up and going home to vim (an vim plugins/bindings just donā€™t work the same as vim itself)

4 Likes

I am a Vim fan too Tucker :003:

Have you tried Onivim? You can even win a copy here: https://onivim.devtalk.com :smiley:

1 Like

Have you tried Onivim?

I havenā€™t tried it out yet but I have been keeping an eye on itā€™s development!

2 Likes