European Parliament approves mass surveillance of private communication

Today, the European Parliament approved the ePrivacy Derogation, allowing providers of e-mail and messaging services to automatically search all personal messages of each citizen for presumed suspect content and report suspected cases to the police. The European Pirates Delegation in the Greens/EFA group strongly condemns this automated mass surveillance, which effectively means the end of privacy in digital correspondence. Pirate Party MEPs plan to take legal action.

In today’s vote, 537 Members of the European Parliament approved Chatcontrol, with 133 voting against and 24 abstentions.[1] According to police data, in the vast majority of cases, innocent citizens come under suspicion of having committed an offence due to unreliable processes. In a recent representative poll, 72% of EU citizens opposed general monitoring of their messages.[2] While providers will initially have a choice to search or not to search communications, follow-up legislation, expected in autumn, is to oblige all communications service providers to indiscriminate screening.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

We need an opposite of the :heart: button. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah, we just need to be able to associate any random emoji with a post, like you can on discord. >.>

1 Like

Just do this in the post

:-1:

or

:poop:

:joy:

1 Like

That doesn’t associate well though, it’s not as visible on what it’s referencing and is more just noise for the thread. ^.^;

2 Likes

I’ve seen forum plugins (for other forums) that have had the feature for a while… but they can be abused or taken personally by the OP. Hence I think ideally they would differ depending on situation - so automated news threads could have things like downvoting, but maybe not such a good idea if it’s someone’s personal thread, or when they post pictures they’ve taken etc.

On one forum we added a C&C flag that users had to set in their profiles if they were happy to receive critiques on their work/photos. Giving (and receiving!) critical feedback can be hard :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve often felt that forum post reaction systems need some way to differentiate between “the content of this post makes me happy/sad/angry/etc.” vs. “the fact that you posted this (and by implication you) makes me happy/sad/angry/etc.” At least a simple up/down vote, or "heart"ing it or not, is a lot simpler.

2 Likes

I’ve always regarded the emoji responses relating to the content and not myself. Why would anyone think it would be about them and not the content itself?! That seems narcissistic to me (both thinking of receiving it in such a way or giving it out in such a way)?

2 Likes