PHP has been removed in macOS Monterey

Q: PHP seems to be missing from this release.

A: PHP has been removed in macOS Monterey.

Details here:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/681907

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Why on earth was Apple even shipping such an incredibly old and insecure version of PHP as it was?!?

2 Likes

My MacBook Pro M1 running macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 shipped with

$ /usr/bin/ruby -v
ruby 2.6.3p62 (2019-04-16 revision 67580) [universal.x86_64-darwin20]
$ /usr/bin/python --version
Python 2.7.16
2 Likes

Isn’t ruby up to the 3.x series by now I thought? And Python 2.7 was deprecated like a decade ago and even stopped receiving security updates a while ago now, like that’s utterly ancient!!

1 Like

From Wikipedia:

Python 2 was discontinued with version 2.7.18 in 2020

So maybe not that ancient of a Python version,

However, Wikipedia also states:

Python 2.7’s end-of-life date was initially set at 2015 then postponed to 2020 out of concern that a large body of existing code could not easily be forward-ported to Python 3.

The 2.6 run of Ruby was released in December 2018 and is still maintained (2.6.7 is the newest 2.x), but is at end of support. 2.7 was released before the release of Big Sur.

What one can wonder, is why the OS even ships with these interpreters? Surely, I should just be able to install a dev-package, if I needed them?

3 Likes

That was when security updates stopped. Overall non-security development on it stopped literal many years ago! No one should have been using 2.7 for years and years.

I was also wondering about that. Like do Mac’s actually run python and ruby scripts in their base system?!? Lol.

3 Likes