The $149 Smartphone That Could Bring the Linux Mobile Ecosystem to Life

If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone maker that simultaneously supports the daily needs of hundreds of millions of users could have so much literal say over how its ecosystem operates?

When faced with such questions, reactions can vary—many people will grumble and complain, while others will look for other options. Problem is, operating system options have infamously been difficult to find in the smartphone space—hope you like Android or iOS, because those are your options.

On the other hand, what if I were to tell you that there’s a phone where you could have nearly every other attempt at a smartphone OS at your fingertips, one microSD card away, and you could test them at will?

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I’m really excited for these, know a couple of people that got them to play around with, been tempted myself… ^.^;

Not high end by any measure, but a very nice glimpse into possible things…

2 Likes

Does look pretty good:

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for something to disrupt the iPhone vs Android ecosystem. :crossed_fingers: that they can make a go of this one. Apple and Google are really embedded into most everyone’s lives these days.

2 Likes

It doesn’t look good for any company trying to push in to the market if Microsoft couldn’t pull it off. And they pushed really hard, even going as far as buying another company! (Nokia). At the time, I was doing C# and was really disappointed when they failed.

2 Likes

Do you reckon that’s because many people would have seen them as just another Google or Apple?

I haven’t seen the specifics for this phone, but I imagine people are looking for a simple OS for phones where people can just install apps without having to go through an app store - where no company knows which apps you’re using or have installed or who you talk to etc :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, I think generally speaking MOST consumers don’t care about that. We care about it just because we are in the industry and know how tech works so we are naturally more discerning than the average consumer that just wants a smart device. We see devices through the the lens of technology and the potential is has, but consumers see tech for what it can do for them. Generally speaking, I don’t think they really care about the app store, or what company controls the platform they are on.

At the end of the day, the average consumer wants to use their device to check in at the airport and check flights with their device. Consumers want the convenience of holding their device up to a point of sale system to purchase their food, or they want to go to a concert and have their ticket in their event brite app so they don’t loose it, or pay their bills or send money to their kids with their banking app, or summon a ride with Uber/Lyft when they go on vacation, and the list goes on and on.

All of those examples require integration with other companies and that integration is what most consumers value most about the use of their devices. And those are HUGE barriers to any company trying to get in to the mobile market. Being that I’m the primary dev for our mobile app, our company would not even entertain porting our app to another platform (if one existed) and we started out using a cross platform solution and it was terrible. It was so bad to the point that we have spent the last 2 years rewriting the app in native.

2 Likes

I think you’re right, most don’t :smiley: however I do think an increasing number do… and it’s usually this group of tech savvy people that often give advice to everyday users. I think over time, more and more people will want more private, secure and independent systems - I think it’s why Apple make such a big deal about being iOS being so privacy focused, because they know it’s something that matters to more and more people :blush:

1 Like

I think the security climate in businesses is the major driver behind that moreso than consumer concerns. Everything from what has been in the media about facebook here in the US to one of the major gas lines being compromised by ransomeware is really Apple responding to the current climate just like they did with face ID and masks, and leaning in to facetime enhancements due to COVID.

2 Likes

This might work, but it still a big bet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i wish they (Samsung) didnt kill Linux on Dex :frowning:

2 Likes

What is Dex?

1 Like

runs a full graphical Linux desktop operating system on top of Android, in this case using Samsung.

2 Likes

Iiiiinteresting!

2 Likes