The faster you unlearn OOP, the better for you and your software

Maybe it’s just my experience, but Object-Oriented Programming seems like a default, most common paradigm of software engineering. The one typically thought to students, featured in online material and for some reason, spontaneously applied even by people that didn’t intend it.

I know how succumbing it is, and how great of an idea it seems on the surface. It took me years to break its spell, and understand clearly how horrible it is and why. Because of this perspective, I have a strong belief that it’s important that people understand what is wrong with OOP, and what they should do instead.

Many people discussed problems with OOP before, and I will provide a list of my favorite articles and videos at the end of this post. Before that, I’d like to give it my own take.

Data is more important than code…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

There should be more books on Functional Programming :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or Data-Oriented Programming?

4 Likes

This is me right now. Too many years of Java/C# taught me to think OOP by default. Unlearning that is tough…but I’m seriously trying with Elixir. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

would that be ideal for a newbie to learn fp first instead?

3 Likes

I thought @ulissesalmeida’s book-learn-functional-programming-with-elixir was a great help! It’s our birthday later this month, so if you fancy doing a book club on it I can give you both a copy :nerd_face:

2 Likes

woah for real? sign me up then!

3 Likes

I’m in too! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Awesome, I will add a note to this thread so I don’t forget: Which book clubs shall we start next? (I’ll start on it all around the time of our first birthday, which is on the 20th of this month - i’ll ping you both then!) :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes, this book is great. I have read it before. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if I join, but how to join just in case sir? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Advance happy birthday! :tada: wait, am i reading it correctly?

1 Like

If you want to join Joey let me know and I’ll give you a copy of the book as well :+1:

I think you are… it’s our first birthday on the 20th (so 5 days from now) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Really very interested sir, but I am still not sure I would be able to join the book club. :frowning:

2 Likes

That book was such a pleasure to read! I kept thinking, “this is one of those books that I’ll have to get back to and give it a second read just to reinforce the ideas in my silly brain” – and I definitely will, once I’m done with the other eBooks that are on top of my seemingly unending to-read stack.

2 Likes

Yeah I totally agree - it was such an interesting book! Perhaps if you do re-read it you could write a #community:journals :sunglasses:

2 Likes